Name of Credential
Board Certified Medication Therapy Management Specialist (BCMTMS)
National Board of Medication Therapy Management (NBMTM)
1455 Pennsylvania Ave NW
Washington, DC 20004
- Graduation from a pharmacy program accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) or program outside the U.S. that qualifies the individual to practice in the jurisdiction; AND
- Maintain a current, valid pharmacist license; AND
- The candidate must complete two (2) years of practice experience, post-licensure, with experience in medication therapy in retail pharmacy, community pharmacy, or ambulatory care pharmacy. Please note practice experience in inpatient hospital pharmacy, long-term care pharmacy, infusion pharmacy, nuclear pharmacy, or any other pharmacy specialty that does not involve direct patient care will not be eligible.
Experience can be waived if the applicant successfully completes an NBMTM-approved training program in medication therapy management. Approved training programs are:
- APhA’s Delivering Medication Therapy Management Services Certificate Training Program.
- Power-Pak C.E.® Certificate Program in Medication Therapy Management.
- University of Florida’s graduate certificate in Comprehensive Medication Management (CMM).
- University of Florida’s Master’s degree in Medication Therapy Management.
- Residency in medication therapy management or ambulatory care pharmacy (PGY-1 or PGY-2).
- Renewal requirements run in 5-year cycles. After each cycle, the certified individual report on these requirements by completing a brief online form, the CE Status Form.
- A current, unrestricted license is required. An unrestricted license is not currently being subjected to formal discipline by any state board of pharmacy and has no provisions or conditions that limit the pharmacist’s practice in any way.
- Completion of 50 CEs relevant to your practice over a 5-year cycle
- Domain 1: Defining Medication Therapy Management and Translating Medication Therapy Management into Practice (10% of the examination)
- Domain 2: Mediation Therapy Management Pharmacotherapy (70% of the examination)
- Domain 3: Patient Care Advocacy in Medication Therapy Management (10% of the examination)
- Domain 4: MTM Documentation and Billing (10% of the examination)
- Initial Certification Application Fee (U.S. and Canada graduates): $350
- Initial Certification Application Fee (International graduates): $400
- Annual maintenance fee: None
- Recertification fee: $200