Name of Credential
Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE)
National Certification Board for Diabetes Educators (NCBDE)
330 East Algonquin Road, Suite 4
Arlington Heights, IL 60005
- A current, active, unrestricted license from the United States or its territories; AND
- Minimum of two (2) years to the day of professional practice experience in pharmacy; AND
- Minimum of 1000 hours of diabetes self-management education (DSME) experience with a minimum of 40% of those hours (400 hours) accrued in the most recent year preceding application; AND
- Minimum of 15 clock hours of continuing education activities applicable to diabetes within the two (2) years prior to applying for certification.
Duration of initial certification
- Individuals must continue to hold the license or registration for the same discipline held at the time of initial certification. This license or registration must be current, active, and unrestricted at the time of renewal.
- Accrual of a minimum of 1,000 hours of professional practice experience during the five-year certification cycle.
- Domain 1: Assessment of Diabetes and Prediabetes (60 questions)
- Domain 2:Interventions for Diabetes and Prediabetes (89 questions)
- Domain 3:Disease Management (26 questions)
- Initial Certification fee: $350
- Annual Certification Maintenance fee: None
- Recertification fee: $250